Sunday, June 21, 2015

Our First Father's Day

"The greatest thing a father can for his daughter is to love her mother."

-- Attributed to Many

Today, Father's Day, I woke up happy.

It was a weird feeling.

There have been a lot of holidays since I learned of Drew's infidelities. Thanksgiving. Christmas. New Years. Passover. Easter. Mother's Day. Each one was a doubled first - my infant daughter's first X, and the first X post-D-Day. Each one has been miserable.

This was the first Father's Day, and I expected it to be miserable. Because how could a good father do this to his family?

But, for whatever reason, I woke up happy. And I decided to just go with it. To enjoy the moments I could enjoy.

Drew made pancakes and bacon for everyone and opened cards from the girls (thanks, daycare, for getting something together when I couldn't). We made a strawberry crumble with berries we had picked yesterday. Drew took the girls on a playdate so I could have some downtime. He took our toddler on a walk around the neighborhood while I made dinner. We had dinner together, then he gave the girls a bath and read them stories. It was a simple day. It was a good day.

And, all day, Drew thanked me for the best Father's Day of his life.

And, all day, I appreciated what a good father he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment